Monday, March 15, 2010

EDOL 533 Week Two

March 15 -- "Beware the Ides of March"…not this year!

This has actually been an exciting week. I had originally signed up for this class in January, but between my job work load and the intimidation factor from an on-line class, I postponed EDOL 533 until now. Last week I was very stressed with my "navigations", hoping I was "finding" all my assignments and submitting them as requested/required. This week has been such a pleasure. I am more comfortable with cc.elearnportal and navigating within the site.

I have enjoyed reading and comparing the differences between spreadsheets and databases. For my job I use spreadsheets all the time. I put the Chamber Membership information/dues, etc. on one. Also, when I host a road race, I enter the names of all the participants, their addresses, ages, genders, shirt sizes and teams-if applicable. But, it was suddenly very different thinking in terms of the applications for student use. There wasn't a particular instance when I was surprised with what or how a spreadsheet/database could be used. It was just that the entire concept was new and exciting. This is my first class since heading back to school. I still have my foot in the business world, but I have stuck my head through the classroom door. I have enjoyed thinking of different subjects/grade levels, and what might work for each.

I visited a recommended website that pulled up after I specifically went hunting for ways to incorporate spreadsheets/databases into geography. It was interesting to see how students, "without the skills or tools to analyze large volumes of data, could create and use a database to categorize countries in various ways and examine the possible relationships that exist among them." http://homepage.mac.com/iowatimp/aea10grp2/cwarner_page/CWarnerUOP.html

Each year there is a National Backyard Wildbird Count. I thought it would be fun to have the students participate--the possibilities are endless! I have a notebook that I keep track of ideas. Most of these ideas are originals; but, some have been adapted from manuals, magazines, workshops, conversations with friends, information from other schools, and passing bits of data. This week I have enjoyed adding many new ideas to try with my students.

I found several wonderful sites that discussed uses of spreadsheet/database in the classroom. One I liked in particular was:
www.madison.k12.al.us/comp/serv/Spreadsheets/spreadsheetresources.htm. On that site it listed other successful websites. These websites then listed great ideas such as Excel Games, Creating a Crossword Puzzle with Microsoft Excel, Spreadsheet Activities, Middle School Math Lessons, Lab Activities, 101 Ways to Use Excel in the Classroom. I think the above URL is one of many great resources for the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment