Saturday, April 24, 2010

EDOL 533 Week Eight

Well, this is a very sad moment. The class is just eight weeks long, and this is the final week. I have completed my other assignments, and just have the blog left to do. I had always heard about blogs, but never thought I'd read one, let alone WRITE one. But, this has been so much fun and I have come to love it. I have a friend who has a home-based business and always asked me if I have read the site's Blog! "Yeah, right! As if I have time!" But now, maybe I will.
(Currently, we are experiencing a strong storm with tornado warnings, so I may lose power and need to complete this tomorrow.)

The assignment this week was to look at the different security measures that are in place to prevent malicious software and/or hackers with the computers that I use or the ones my students use. Since I am not in the school system yet, I will state that for the Chamber of Commerce we have Norton. We update it every year and we have a computer genius, who had worked for NASA, on our Board. He trouble-shoots any problems I may have, and also ensures that I am as current as can be on the anti-virus software.

I asked one of my daughters what she has in place for the students at her University. She said that students who use the network of computers that are owned by the University just log on, but have to implement specific passwords. The computers themselves are protected. If students choose to use their own computers/laptops, they must download Sophos at the start of each term. This is provided by the University. They must also use a password to access the University's internet.

When she was participating with a research project last summer at another University in another state, they used McAfee, and then also a specific password.

Years ago when I worked for the U.S Gov't overseas, I received "messages" daily that were from the U.S. Naval ships stating when they would be arriving in port. The ports were both Naples, Italy and Rota, Spain. At different times, different years, I ran the programs for the sailors, such as: Road Races, Ball Tournaments, Tours, Pool Parties, etc. It was very important to have heads up with accurate information-- some of the fleet units that had aircraft carriers carried over 6,000 personnel. However, now for the security measures. The saying "loose lips, sink ships" was still an issue during this particular timeframe. Some of the messages I would receive on my computer where clear and I could read them....while others were scrambled and not decipherable. I would then have to call the "message center" and go pick up the copy of that particular communication. This was meant as a safety precaution, for a "Your Eyes Only" type of moment. Hee, hee, I haven't thought about that for years.

Systems have changed throughout the years and will continue to change. A system is only as strong as its "weakest link". I guess we must all stay alert to potential problems and be aware of incoming correspondance, etc. that may not be as it seems.

1 comment: