Sunday, April 4, 2010

EDOL 533 Week Five

This week's assignments were to help us become more familiar with online communication tools and implementing them into the classroom environment. Although I am not currently working in a classroom, I have put thought into which ones I would be interested in using when the time comes.

I think the blog would be compared to the classroom journals, and one I can see my students at any grade using. It would be important to monitor the students and the blogs; however, I can see it as a great learning tool, not only for formatting, but for typing and story progression as well. Journals and creative writing assignments would be a great starting point. The students could not only scan and upload original artwork, but they could also take photos of places from field trips, etc., and upload them as well. Special precautions would be made to ensure photos of students would not be placed on the blog. --(Where we had come from in Florida, I was programed to not put photos of students, Scouts, etc in the paper without forms signed by parents. Now we live in a small town in Kentucky where everyone is either related or very good friends, and the permission for photo use is more relaxed even though I'm not comfortable with it yet.)

I think I would also be interested in using Wikis. I think collaboratively working on certain types of assignments is fun, though challenging. I have not seen group work run smoothly without someone carrying the full load. So, I would have the students first assign themselves specific tasks and then I would grade the project tasks that were completed. I found it interesting to read that wikis could be edited by other readers, etc. I would prepare the students for that possibility happening. The students would be required to make the wiki as factual as possible, but it would also be a great lesson in "don't believe all you read"--as seen with most forms of media. The students would realize that hype is sometimes what attracts readers. "Filtering" would be a great lesson to be incorporated, as well.

Even though I am intrigued by some of the other online communication tools, I think the two mentioned above are the ones I would begin with. Then, as I become more familiar with others, and am able to figure out how best to suit the needs of my students and classroom curriculum, I would implement additional tools where appropriate.

All tools are exciting and when used well, will enhance learning. However, I don't want to lose sight of the "learning mission". Sometimes administrators are so wrapped up with trying new things, the class that year becomes the State's "guinea pigs", and steps in their learning development fall through the cracks. I don't want my students' basic educational needs ever falling through the cracks as I work to expand their skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment